4 Ways To Calm Down Before Sleep
I feel groggy all day. My brain feels like it’s in a fog, and my energy level is low. 2 or 3 cups of coffee wears off in 15-20 minutes, and really is no help.
I’ve developed the habits of consistently exercising for 30-60 min each day and eating healthy (this is supposed to INCREASE energy). So why am I not feeling energized? I’m tired of feeling tired.
Something’s got to change, and I suspect it’s my bad habit of not getting enough sleep.
Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep each night. In my case, getting only 5-7 hours is normal (varies erratically throughout the week). So this is one habit I need to change.
But for me, falling asleep is difficult. Many times I’m physically exhausted, from getting the kids ready for bed and reading bedtime stories, but when 10 pm rolls around (my bedtime), I find my mind racing, thinking about all the things left undone.
I’ve scoured the internet in search of answers, and here are the top 4 that seem to make the most sense:
4 Ways To Calm Down And Get Enough Sleep:
- Get to a dim room, and limit bright lights.
- Don’t drink fluids for 1 to 2 hours before bedtime.
- Engage in activities that help you NOT think about your day. Try an uninteresting TV show, or boring reading.
- If stressing about things that need to get done, purge your mind by writing down everything that needs to get done. Writing helps clear the mind.
Things to Avoid:
- Don’t meditate, because meditation is supposed to help your mind INCREASE awareness, which is the opposite of sleep.
- Don’t plan your day – save that for when you’re awake. Writing down thoughts (#4 above) about what’s bothering you can help you clear your mind, but starting to prioritize and schedule will shift the mind right back to work mode which is not good.
I’m going to try these out, and hopefully reverse the bad habit of too little sleep with the good habit of enough rest. Hopefully, this will be the key habit that will lead to improving other areas of my life on the way to reaching my goals.
Please share any thought or suggestions you might have!
Other Top Posts
- 46 YEAR OLD BANKER POSTS THIS AFTER WIFE CHEATED ON HIM
- 15 GREATEST WAYS TO ATTRACT YOUR DREAMS
- 10 ARCHIE BUNKER ZINGERS THAT ACTUALLY MAKE YOU BRILLIANT
- 4 SECRETS NAVY SEALS USE TO CONQUER FEAR
- 7 COMMON FRUSTRATIONS THAT ALWAYS HOLD YOU BACK
- BRUCE LEE: 15 SUPERIOR QUOTES THAT GIVE YOU THE EDGE
Thanks to the following for sharing their ideas:
image 1 source
image 2 source
image 3 source